Course on Academic Writing
The course is designed to support academic writing skills, with the focus on writing process leading to clear and effective written communication, necessary for writing a manuscript of a research paper. It provides basics on several components of academic writing, including structuring and organizing an academic text, using sources in academic writing, academic English, and communication with the editorial office. The course is intended for all who are interested in acquiring good academic research and writing skills essential for the professional life of researchers.
INSTRUCTOR/ PRESENTED BY
- Pedagogical Competence Development Centre (CERPEK), Masaryk University
- Academic developer including curriculum development and mentoring.
- Her articles appeared in the Journal of Global Security Studies, The Journal of Transatlantic Studies, and European Political Science. Her most recent publications include “Trusting through the Moscow-Washington Hotline: A Role Theoretical Explanation of the Hotline’s Contribution to Signal Interpretation and Crisis Stability” with Eszter Simon (2020) and “Teaching and learning about foreign policy decision-making via board-gaming and reflections” (2020).
- She has co-edited the book Early Career Academics’ Reflections on Learning to Teach in Central Europe (2018).
THE COURSE CONTENT
- Introduction to academic writing: formal structure and academic language, plagiarism
- Academic writing: description, paraphrasing, summarizing / synthesizing, argumentation
- Academic English
- A research study paper, a review paper
- How to write an Abstract: structure, content
- Communication with the editor / reviewers